BIOLOGY152: Introductory Biology: IP-Finding Research Articles and Databases (Spring 2023) : Examples of Broadening a Topic
- Your Independent Project and the Library
- Background InformationToggle Dropdown
- Mentored Students
- Find Articles
- Finding Full Text
- Evaluating and Using Articles/Primary & Secondary (Review) articles in the Sciences
- Articles with Online Supplemental Material
- Citing Sources & Citation ManagersToggle Dropdown
- Exploring Citation NetworksToggle Dropdown
- Managing Your Research Data
- Get Published
Examples of Broadening a Topic
Modulation of a Protein Kinase Pathway by Tea Polyphenols in Prostate Cancer Cells
This research done in Prof. Adhami's lab, concentrates on something very specific and because this is new research I probably won't find much on this topic.
How can I find background information or other articles on this topic to complete my assignment?
- I do know his work will use the technique immunoblot analysis for assessing the effectiveness of the black and green tea polyphenols. I might want to learn the background of this method or the pros and cons.
- I could find information just about prostate cancer and tea polyphenols (without the specific protein kinase).
- I could look for articles about tea and protein kinases (without the idea of cancer).
I could search MeSH in PubMed for each concept in the research topic and see which broader subject headings it falls into. Example: "protein kinase" -
Enzymes and Coenzymes
Phosphotransferases (Alcohol Group Acceptor)
The Effects of Nesting Height on Nesting Success of Red-Winged BlackbirdsHow can I find background information or other articles on this topic to complete my assignment when this research is too new to find similar research?
- I might want to learn about the general nesting habits of Red-Winged Blackbirds
- I could find more general information about nesting success of Red-Winged Blackbirds not related to any particular aspect of the height.
- I could look for articles about nesting height and nesting success of birds in general (not specific to Red-Winged Blackbirds).