BIOLOGY152: Introductory Biology: IP-Finding Research Articles and Databases (Spring 2023) : Finding Background Information
- Your Independent Project and the Library
- Background InformationToggle Dropdown
- Mentored Students
- Find Articles
- Finding Full Text
- Evaluating and Using Articles/Primary & Secondary (Review) articles in the Sciences
- Articles with Online Supplemental Material
- Citing Sources & Citation ManagersToggle Dropdown
- Exploring Citation NetworksToggle Dropdown
- Managing Your Research Data
- Get Published
Finding Background Information
How do I find Background Information about my topic when this research is so new?
Don't look for information that encompasses every aspect of the research. You won't find that!
For specific examples see Examples of Broadening A Topic
...and/or take a look at our general suggestions below.
- Search separately for each aspect of the research topic.
- Look for background information about the species, biological functions, and/or methodologies.
- Find out what larger systems your specific research topic fits into. Ex: this is a type of what?
- Work backwards from the specific to the general. Ex: use MeSH Medical Subject Headings to find broader subject headings.