- 3-2-1-0 rule for data backup. 3 copies of your data in 2 different locations on more than 1 type of storage hardware. 0 USB drives used.
- Use open file formats. TXT, CSV, TIF, etc. Avoid proprietary formats when possible.
- Organize and name files meaningfully. Avoid special characters and spaces in folder and file names. Use names that describe the contents of a file, selecting 3-4 key pieces of information.
- Document your research process. Create a README file, give your work context to be able to go back later and know what you did.
- Have a plan and stick with it!
Here are 5 top tips for data management to ensure data longevity and usefulness: