The purpose of this award is to encourage and recognize excellent legal scholarship and to broaden participation by new law teachers. It is open to those who will have been full-time law teachers at an AALS member or fee-paid school for five years or less.
The AALS Section on Pre-Law Education and Admission to Law School has developed five awards to recognize individuals, programs, and organizations that further the Section’s mission of bettering legal education and increasing diversity in the legal profession.
• Excellence in Pre-Law Advising Award
• Up and Comer Award
• Unsung Hero Award
• Programmatic Change-Maker Award
• Organizational Change-Maker Award
The award recognizes innovative contributions to the inclusion of LGBTQ+ people in the legal academy and profession more broadly. The Section especially seeks nominations that focus on the inclusion of LGBTQ+ students, before, during, and after their legal education. The Section will give two awards, one individual award and one institutional / program award.
The American Society of International Law recognizes excellence in the field of international law and human rights with three annual honors.
• The Manley O. Hudson Medal is awarded to a distinguished person of American or other nationality for outstanding contributions to scholarship and achievement in international law.
• The Goler T. Butcher Medal is awarded to a distinguished person of American or other nationality for outstanding contributions to the development or effective realization of international human rights.
• The Honorary Member Award is conferred on an individual of American or other nationality who has rendered distinguished contributions or service in the field of international law.