Religion: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Christianity
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Madison Area Urban Ministry“Helping frame issues for the greater Madison community with attention to compassion, mercy, and justice. Promoting interfaith cooperation and collaboration. Convening and linking people of faith communities to engage in social action.”
- Christian Students at UW-MadisonThe UW Madison Christian Students organization hosts events and gatherings for "all who [are] interested in knowing more about the Bible and the Christian faith. "
- National Council of Churches"The 38 NCC member communions — from a wide spectrum of Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African American and Living Peace churches — include 45 million persons in more than 100,000 local congregations in communities across the nation."
- United States Conference of Catholic BishopsUSCCB's mission includes a goal "to act collaboratively and consistently on vital issues confronting the Church and society;" the website includes information on Catholic beliefs, teachings, and practices.
This is a guide to resources on the religion of Christianity, its cultural traditions and its political influence.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: Christian* AND literature, Christian* AND philosoph*, Christian* AND culture, Christian* AND law, Christian* AND science, Christian* AND politics
See also: Names of specific denominations, religious figures, or books of the Bible
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- A History of Christian Theology: An Introduction by William C. Placher; Derek R. NelsonISBN: 9780664239350Publication Date: 2013-10-17
- The Evangelicals: The Struggle to Shape America by Frances FitzGeraldISBN: 9781439131336Publication Date: 2017-04-04
- Protestants: the Faith that Made the Modern World by Alec RyrieISBN: 0670026166Publication Date: 2017-04-04
- Extraordinary Women of Christian History: What We Can Learn from Their Struggles and Triumphs by Ruth A. TuckerISBN: 9780801016721Publication Date: 2016-02-16
- Coming Out Christian in the Roman World: How the Followers of Jesus Made a Place in Caesar's Empire by Douglas Ryan BoinISBN: 9781620403174Publication Date: 2015-03-03
- Kissing in the Chapel, Praying in the Frat House: Wrestling with Faith and College by Adam J. CopelandISBN: 9781566997317Publication Date: 2014-12-05
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLA SerialsThe ATLA Religion Database indexes more than 600 of the leading journals in the field of religion and theology. The index also includes essays from multi-author works and book reviews. ATLA Serials has full-text content from approximately 190 journals.
- EBR: Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception"EBR offers a comprehensive and in-depth rendering of the current state of knowledge on the origins and development of the Bible according to its different canonic forms in Judaism and Christianity. At the same time, EBR also documents the history of the Bible's reception in Judaism and Christianity."--Publisher's website.
- New Testament AbstractsThe database is an indispensable research and bibliographic aid for scholars, librarians, clergy and students of the New Testament and its historical milieu.
- Old Testament AbstractsOld Testament Abstracts Online is a product of a partnership between ATLA and the Catholic Biblical Association. The database features indexing and abstracts for journal articles, monographs, multi-author works, and software related to Old Testament studies.
- Oxford Dictionary of the Christian ChurchThis is a one-volume reference book covering many aspects of Christianity.
- Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life"Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research."