Open Educational Resources : Home
What does it mean for a resource to be "open" or "open access"?
- free to access
- free of many copyright and licensing restrictions1
What is Open Education?
Education that is comprised of materials that are open access with an emphasis on using the interactive, collaborative environment of the internet.
What are Open Educational Resources?
Open educational resources (OER) are freely accessible, openly licensed documents and media that are useful for teaching, learning, and assessing as well as for research purposes.2
- lesson plans that are open access
- textbooks that are open access
- interactive, collaborative activities that are open access
- images, videos, and audio that are open access
- courses that are open access
Head over to Creative Commons Licensing and Copyright section, because understanding what licensing options are available to you and how they work to make works "open" is integral to creating or adopting Open Educational Resources for use in your classroom.
What is OER? Videos
A video about how technology is transforming our system of education, generating equal opportunities for all by opening up education resources.