Open Educational Resources : Images
Free online resources for students, teachers, and lifelong learners
Why Diverse Open Images?
One benefit of teaching with Open Educational Resources is that educational materials can be adapted to include images, examples, case studies, and more that are reflective of the diverse society in which we live. Below are collections of images that showcase diversity in a variety of ways. These images are free to include in your open textbooks, presentations, handouts, and any other use in accordance with the collection's licensing.
- Disabled and HereThe Disabled and Here collection is a disability-led stock library of free and inclusive images with photos and illustrations celebrating disabled Black, Indigenous, people of color (BIPOC). Licensed under CC-BY 4.0 (Creative Commons Attribution)
- Gender Spectrum CollectionThe Gender Spectrum Collection is a stock photo library featuring images of trans and non-binary models that go beyond the clichés. This collection aims to help media better represent members of these communities as people not necessarily defined by their gender identities—people with careers, relationships, talents, passions, and home lives. Licensed under CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0 (Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial - NoDerivatives 4.0)
- AllGo Plus Size Stock PhotosDespite the fact that two-thirds of women in the U.S. are plus-size, just two percent of women shown in media are plus-size. The AllGo collection showcases photos of plus-size people doing normal, everyday activities. License: Attribution not required, but credit photographer Michael Poley of Poley Creative.
- Images of EmpowermentThis collection of images shows the connection between women’s work, their health, and ability to care for themselves and their families in 11 countries around the world: Colombia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Peru, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Thailand, Uganda, and the United States. They also show women as active participants in their communities, accessing and providing quality reproductive health information and services, and advocating for better working conditions. Licensed under CC-BY-NC 4.0 (Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial)
- NappyHigh-resolution photos of Black and Brown people for personal and commercial use. Licensed under CC0 (Public Domain).
- PIC NOIStock photo website featuring high quality photography of people of color. Licensed under CC-BY 4.0 (Creative Commons Attribution).