Social Issues: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Welfare Reform
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Bathroom Laws
- Capital Punishment/Death Penalty
- Health Care
- Prison Issues
- School to Prison Pipeline
- Sexual Assault/Rape
- Social Media
- Stereotype Threat
- Welfare Reform
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Institute for Research on Poverty"The Institute for Research on Poverty (IRP) at the University of Wisconsin–Madison is dedicated to advancing understanding of the causes and consequences of U.S. poverty and inequality."
- Urban Institute: Poverty, Vulnerability, and the Safety NetIncludes recent publications on poverty and welfare reform.
- Welfare Reform AcademyPart of the University of Maryland's School of Public Policy, the Welfare Reform Academy "provide[s] training in program design, implementation, and evaluation" for a variety of welfare programs.
About Welfare Reform
This guide suggests resources on the social, economic, and political aspects of welfare reform in the United States.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: welfare reform AND employ*, welfare reform AND child*, welfare reform AND education, welfare reform AND healthcare, welfare reform AND tax*, welfare reform AND housing
See Also: names of politicians, pieces of legislation (e.g.,1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act), and individual programs (TANF, Medicaid, etc.)
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Three Worlds of Relief: Race, Immigration, and the American Welfare State from the Progressive Era to the New Deal Fox, Cybelle by Cybelle FoxISBN: 9780691152233Publication Date: 2012-04-29
- The Poverty Industry: The Exploitation of America's Most Vulnerable Citizens by Daniel L. HatcherISBN: 9781479874729Publication Date: 2016-06-21
- Cheating Welfare: Public Assistance and the Criminalization of Poverty by Kaaryn S. GustafsonISBN: 9780814732311Publication Date: 2011-07-25
- Women and Poverty in 21st Century America by Paula vW. DáilISBN: 9780786449033Publication Date: 2011-12-07
- It's Not Like I'm Poor: How Working Families Make Ends Meet in a Post-Welfare World by Sarah Halpern-Meekin; Kathryn Edin; Laura Tach; Jennifer SykesISBN: 9780520275355Publication Date: 2015-01-14
Articles - Scholarly & Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- SocINDEX with Full TextIncludes full text for a variety of journals and books encompassing all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study
- International Bibliography of the Social SciencesThe IBSS indexes the information contained in over 2,600 social sciences journals and 6,000 books each year.
- Statistical Abstract of the United StatesThis tool is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.