Social Issues: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Sexual Assault/Rape
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Bathroom Laws
- Capital Punishment/Death Penalty
- Health Care
- Prison Issues
- School to Prison Pipeline
- Sexual Assault/Rape
- Social Media
- Stereotype Threat
- Welfare Reform
Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
Dane County Rape Crisis Center"The Rape Crisis Center offers support and information for anyone who has experienced past or recent sexual assault."
Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault"The Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault (WCASA) is a statewide organization created and incorporated in 1985 to support and complement the work of Wisconsin’s community-based sexual assault service provider programs and other organizations working to end sexual violence."
RAINN: Rape, Abuse, and Incest National NetworkProvides relevant links to resources and other information sources. A nationally known, reputable, and active organization that, among other things, coordinates corporate financial support around sexual assault issues.
National Alliance to End Sexual Violence"The National Alliance to End Sexual Violence educates the policy community about federal laws, legislation and appropriations impacting the fight to end sexual violence."
About Sexual Assault/Rape
This Research Guide focuses on sexual violence. Included are materials covering such topics as date rape, marital rape and sexual assault, as well as the rape victims' emotional responses, legal rights and options. See also: Sexual Harassment
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: date rape AND alcohol, date rape AND drugs, acquaintance rape, marriage AND rape, statutory rape, rape AND military, rape AND college, sexual assault AND college, incest
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoint in ContextOpposing Viewpoints in Context provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)"This is a center for the collection and distribution of statistics, information, and resources about sexual violence. It is aimed at caregivers, policy makers, and crisis centers. Provides a searchable database of the library catalogs of the center and of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape, publications, a calendar of events, funding resources, profiles of organizations, materials on specific types of sexual violence, and classified ads for jobs in the field."
- Sexual Violence - CDCIncludes a fact sheet (with statistics and risk factors), a brochure on sexual violence prevention strategies, details about prevention activities of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and other health agencies, and links to websites of groups working on sexual violence prevention.
- Asking for It: The Alarming Rise of Rape Culture--and What We Can Do About It by Kate Harding Rape and sexual assault are endemic in institutions from universities to the military to churches. Harding examines how these things are symptomatic of a larger rape culture and asks what we need to do to stop it.Call Number: HV6556 .H37 2015ISBN: 9780738217024Publication Date: 2015-08-25
- Campus Sexual Assault: College Women Respond by Lauren J. GermainISBN: 9781421419053Publication Date: 2016-02-09
- On Being Raped by Raymond M. DouglasISBN: 9780807050941Publication Date: 2016-04-05
- Rape Is Rape by Jody RaphaelISBN: 9781613744796Publication Date: 2013-04-01
Articles - Scholarly & Popular
Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
PsycInfoIncludes articles in the field of psychology as well articles about the psychological aspects of related disciplines.
SocIndexIncludes full text for a variety of journals and books encompassing all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
Consumer Health CompleteCovers areas of health and wellness from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated medicine.
GenderWatchA gender, women, and gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) issues database with thousands of English-language full-text articles from over 200 magazines, academic journals, regional publications, and newsletters. Earliest articles are from 1970; most are from the 1990s to the present.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics: Rape and Sexual AssaultStatistics on rape and sexual assault.
- Statistical Abstract of the United StatesThis tool is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States. Sources of data include the Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis, and many other Federal agencies and private organizations.