Social Issues: An Undergraduate Research Guide : School to Prison Pipeline
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Bathroom Laws
- Capital Punishment/Death Penalty
- Health Care
- Prison Issues
- School to Prison Pipeline
- Sexual Assault/Rape
- Social Media
- Stereotype Threat
- Welfare Reform
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Center for Children's Law and PolicyThe Center for Children’s Law and Policy (CCLP) is a public interest law and policy organization focused on reform of juvenile justice and other systems that affect troubled and at-risk children, and protection of the rights of children in those systems. Includes resources on issues related to youth and juvenile justice.
- Center on Juvenile and Criminal JusticeThe Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice (CJCJ) provides direct service, technical assistance, and policy research in the fields of juvenile and criminal justice.
- The Campaign for Youth Justice"The Campaign for Youth Justice (CFYJ) is a national initiative focused entirely on ending the practice of prosecuting, sentencing, and incarcerating youth under the age of 18 in the adult criminal justice system."
- Youth First"Youth First is a national advocacy campaign to end the incarceration of youth by closing youth prisons and investing in community-based alternatives to incarceration and programs for youth."
About the School to Prison Pipeline
The phrase "School to Prison Pipeline" refers to the idea that zero-tolerance policies in schools are leading to increasing numbers of students caught in the criminal justice system. The resources in this Research Guide will help you explore this topic, as well as other topics related to youth crime and imprisonment.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: juvenile justice, juvenile detention, school violence, youth AND cyberbullying, youth AND drugs, gang* AND youth, youth AND legal, juvenile AND justice, juvenile AND delinquen*, youth AND crime, juvenile court*, runaway*, high risk youth
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency PreventionUS Department of Justice site provides facts, resources and publications supporting states and local communities in their efforts to improve the juvenile justice system.
- Wisconsin State Law Library Legal Topics: Juvenile JusticeAn index of resources related to juvenile justice issues, including state and federal laws, and information from related state and federal agencies.
- Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools by Monique W. MorrisISBN: 9781620970942Publication Date: 2016-03-29
- The School-To-Prison Pipeline by Christopher A. MallettISBN: 0826194583Publication Date: 2015-08-01
- Burning down the House: The End of Juvenile Prison by Nell BernsteinISBN: 9781595589569Publication Date: 2014-06-03
- Falling Back: Incarceration and Transitions to Adulthood Among Urban Youth by Jamie J. FaderISBN: 9780813560748Publication Date: 2013-04-15
- Justice for Kids: Keeping Kids out of the Juvenile Justice System by Nancy E. Dowd (Editor)ISBN: 9781479832958Publication Date: 2012-12-21
Articles - Scholarly & Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- SocINDEX with Full TextIncludes full text for a variety of journals and books encompassing all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
- Social Work AbstractsArticles from more than 450 journals in the areas of the social work profession, theory and practice, areas of service, social issues, and social problems.
- International Bibliography of the Social SciencesThe IBSS indexes the information contained in over 2,600 social sciences journals and 6,000 books each year.
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social ResearchICPSR maintains and provides access to a large archive of quantitative social science data for research and instruction.
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Statistical Briefing BookIncludes statistical data on juvenile crimes, arrests, incarceration, probation, reentry, and aftercare.