Internet and Online Culture: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Cybercrime
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Artificial Intelligence
- Copyright/Intellectual Property
- Net Neutrality
- Online Privacy
- Social Media
- Video Games
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- National Fraud Information Center"The NFIC was originally established in 1992 by the National Consumers League, the oldest nonprofit consumer organization in the United States, to fight the growing menace of telemarketing fraud by improving prevention and enforcement."
- National Crime Prevention CouncilNCPC is a national non-profit dedicated to the prevention of crime. There is specific information on cybercrime as well.
- Computer Crime Research CenterFounded in 2001, the Computer Crime Research Center (CCRC) is an independent institute dedicated to the research of cyber crime, cyber terrorism and other issues of computer crimes and internet fraud phenomena.
- The International Association of Computer Investigative SpecialistsIACIS is an international volunteer non-profit corporation composed of law enforcement professionals dedicated to education in the field of forensic computer science.
- Electronic Frontier FoundationThe Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development.
- Centre for International Governance InnovationThe Global Commission on Internet Governance’s One Internet report makes practical recommendations for the international community to ensure that the future of the Internet remains open, secure, trustworthy and inclusive. The recommendations continue to gain traction on cybersecurity, multi-stakeholder governance and accessibility.
This guide focuses on cybercrime, a term used to describe electronic or computer crimes. This broad term covers issues such as hacking, identity theft, doxxing, cracking, spam, computer security, privacy invasion, viruses, and piracy.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: computer software piracy, computer crime, computer viruses, Internet crimes, identity theft, cracker* and computer*, internet terroris*, phreaker*, doxxing, computer hacker*, cybercriminal*, cybercrime*
Overview Resources - Background Information
- U.S. Department of Justice - Computer Crime and Intellectual PropertyThis is the homepage of the Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Department of Homeland Security - CybersecurityThe Department of Homeland Security's overview page about topics related to cybersecurity and cybercrime.
- This Is How They Tell Me the World Ends: The Cyberweapons Arms Race by Perlroth, NicoleISBN: 9781526629852Publication Date: 2021
- Industry of Anonymity: Inside the Business of Cybercrime by Jonathan LusthausISBN: 9780674979413Publication Date: 2018
- You'll See This Message When It Is Too Late: The Legal and Economic Aftermath of Cybersecurity Breaches by Josephine WolffISBN: 9780262038850Publication Date: 2018
- Cyberphobia: Identity, Trust, Security, and the Internet by Edward LucasISBN: 1632862255Publication Date: 2015
- Spam Nation: The Inside Story of Organized Cybercrime--from Global Epidemic to Your Front Door by Brian KrebsISBN: 1402295618Publication Date: 2014
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic Search CompleteA general/multi-disciplinary database with articles on many topics.
- INSPEC (via Web of Knowledge)Includes articles on computer and cyber-related topics.
- Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics OnlineA collaboration between the Hindelang Criminal Justice Research Center and the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics that has presented over 10,000 tables displaying statistical data from over 2,500 public and private agencies, academic institutions, research organizations, public opinion polling firms, and other groups.