Families: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Domestic Violence
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Autism Spectrum
- Child Abuse
- Children of Divorce
- Childhood Obesity
- Domestic Violence
- Same Sex Marriage/Marriage Equality
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS)"Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, located in Madison, Wisconsin, offers a 24-hour crisis line, a 25-bed safe house for women and their children, legal advocacy, support groups, information and referrals. DAIS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization."
- UNIDOS Against Domestic Violence/ Contra La Violencia DomesticaUNIDOS was started in 1996 as a group of volunteers committed to helping Latina survivors of domestic violence access local services.
- Wisconsin Coalition Against Domestic ViolenceThe Wisconsin Coalition Against Domestic Violence (WCADV), is a statewide, non-profit, membership organization of battered women, formerly battered women, domestic abuse programs, and individuals committed to ending domestic violence.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV)"NCADV serves as a national information and referral center for the general public, media, battered women and their children." Its site features material about protecting yourself from domestic violence, public policy and advocacy efforts."
- Stop Abuse For Everyone (SAFE)Provides support and advocacy for victims and perpetrators of domestic violence, concentrating on the underserved, such as lesbians and straight and gay men. Provides a list of speakers, a directory of services for specific groups, and annotated links.
- Violence Against Women OfficeThe mission of the Office on Violence Against Women (OVW) is to provide federal leadership to reduce violence against women, and to administer justice for and strengthen services to all victims of domestic violence, dating violence.
About Domestic Abuse
This guide provides sources related to domestic or family violence issues, including: spouse abuse, intervention and shelter programs, the psychological and economic dependency of some abuse victims, and legal protection and remedies.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: domestic violence and women, family violence and child*, partner abuse, marital violence, child* abuse, battered female*
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- WHO Multi-Country Study on Women's Health and Domestic Violence Against Women"The first-ever World Health Organization (WHO) study on domestic violence reveals that intimate partner violence is the most common form of violence in women's lives -- much more so than assault or rape by strangers or acquaintances."
- WomensLaw.org"State-by-state legal information and resources for domestic violence." Features general information on domestic violence as well as specific information for teens, immigrants, military families, and other populations.
- Domestic Violence and Abuse by Laura L. FinleyISBN: 1440858837Publication Date: 2020
- Gender, Power, and Violence by Angela J. Hattery; Earl SmithISBN: 1538118173Publication Date: 2019
- Queering Sexual Violence by Jennifer Patterson (Editor)ISBN: 1626012733Publication Date: 2016
- Perspectives on Verbal and Psychological Abuse by Roland Maiuro (Editor)ISBN: 9780826194657Publication Date: 2015
- Domestic Violence: Legal and Social Reality by D. Kelly WeisbergISBN: 9780735508637Publication Date: 2012
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- International Bibliography for Social SciencesThe IBSS indexes the information contained in over 2,600 social sciences journals and 6,000 books each year in the fields of economics, political science, sociology and anthropology.