Families: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Childhood Obesity
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Autism Spectrum
- Child Abuse
- Children of Divorce
- Childhood Obesity
- Domestic Violence
- Same Sex Marriage/Marriage Equality
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Paper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Weight Management ProgramNutrition, Exercise, and Weight Management Program for Kids offers information and resources for the holistic treatment of pediatric overweight.
- Action for Healthy KidsAction for Healthy Kids provides resources for families and school programs. It also links to local resources in Wisconsin.
- We Can! Ways to Enhance Childhood Activity & NutritionWe Can! is a national movement designed to give parents, caregivers, and entire communities a way to help children 8 to 13 years old stay at a healthy weight. This site provides tips, tools, resources, and information.
About Childhood Obesity
This research guide will help you find resources on causes and effects of childhood obesity. You can also find resources on community and national programs to prevent and address obesity in children and adolescents.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: child* AND obes*, adolescen* AND obes*, overweight AND child*, and teen* AND obes*.
Overview Resources - Background Information
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Always the Fat Kid: The Truth about the Enduring Effects of Childhood Obesity by Jacob Warren; K. Bryant SmalleyISBN: 0230341772Publication Date: 2013
- Childhood Obesity in America: Biography of an Epidemic by Laura DawesISBN: 9780674369573Publication Date: 2014
- The Weight of the Nation: Surprising Lessons About Diets, Food, and Fat from the Extraordinary Series from HBO Documentary Films by John Hoffman; Alexandra Moss; Thomas Frieden (Afterword by); Judith A. Salerno; Kelly D. Brownell (Foreword by); Harvey V. Fineberg (Afterword by)ISBN: 1250014743Publication Date: 2012
- The Fat Studies Reader by Esther Rothblum (Editor); Sondra Solovay (Editor); Marilyn Wann (Foreword by)ISBN: 9780814776308Publication Date: 2009
Statistics and Data
- Wisconsin Obesity and Physical Activity DataThe Wisconsin Department of Health Services provides a report on obesity, nutrition and physical activity in Wisconsin as well as data and graphs regarding obesity in Wisconsin.
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- SocINDEX with Full TextSocINDEX with Full Text includes full text for "core coverage" sociology journals, books, and conference proceedings.
- PsycINFOThis database includes information about psychology and the psychological aspects of related disciplines such as medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, anthropology, business and law.
- Social Work AbstractsSocial Work Abstracts contains citations and abstracts to articles from more than journals in the areas of the social work profession, theory and practice, areas of service, social issues, and social problems.