Alcohol and Other Drugs: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Alcoholism
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)"Alcoholics Anonymous® is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.""There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety."
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc."The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence fights the stigma and the disease of alcoholism and other drug addictions."
- Secular Organizations For Sobriety (SOS)"SOS is a non-profit network of autonomous, non-professional local groups dedicated solely to helping individuals achieve and maintain sobriety. There are groups meeting in many cities throughout the country.""SOS is an alternative recovery method for those alcoholics or drug addicts who are uncomfortable with the spiritual content of widely available 12-Step programs. SOS takes a reasonable, secular approach to recovery and maintains that sobriety is a separate issue from religion or spirituality."
This research guide focuses on alcohol addiction as a medical problem, the treatment of alcoholism, and the effects of alcoholism on individuals, families, and society.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: alcoholism and treatment, children of alcoholics, alcoholism and gene*, alcohol and college students, alcoholism and women, alcoholism and research, fetal alcohol syndrome, and "alcohol abuse".
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- The Drunken Monkey: Why We Drink and Abuse Alcohol by Robert DudleyISBN: 9780520275690Publication Date: 2014-05-01
- The Anatomy of Addiction: What Science and Research Tell Us About the True Causes, Best Preventive Techniques, and Most Successful Treatments by Akikur MohammadISBN: 9781101981832Publication Date: 2016-02-23
- On the Rocks by Susan D. StewartISBN: 9781538127254Publication Date: 2022
- Alcohol: Its History, Pharmacology, and Treatment by Mark Edmund Rose; Cheryl J. CherpitelISBN: 9781616494032Publication Date: 2011-12-08
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change by Jeffrey Foote; Carrie Wilkens; Nicole Kosanke; Stephanie HiggsISBN: 9781476709482Publication Date: 2014-12-30
- Getting Wasted: Why College Students Drink Too Much and Party So Hard by Thomas Vander VenISBN: 9780814788325Publication Date: 2011-08-01
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- SocINDEXThe database encompasses all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic EditionFocuses on medical and nursing information.
Statistitcs and Data
- Data.govHere you will find data, tools, and resources to conduct research, develop web and mobile applications, design data visualizations, and more.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention FASTSTATSStatistics on Alcohol Use in the United States.
- University of Wisconsin Digital CollectionsFind images in the UW-Madison's Digital Collections Center and other digital image collections at UW-Madison.
- American Memory ProjectFree, copyright-friendly image collections on the Web.
- Creative CommonsCreative Commons images are free of traditional copyright restrictions.
- Addiction: a 14-part series (HBO Documentary Films)Strives to break through the myths and explain what addiction really is, what causes it, and how to get the best available treatments.
- Spin the bottle: sex, lies and alcohol (Media Education Foundation)"By exploring the college party scene, Spin the Bottle shows the difficulties students have in navigating a cultural environment saturated with messages about gender and alcohol."
- Television News ArchiveBrought to you by UW-Madison Libraries, the Television News Archive is a searchable collection of network news television broadcasts from 1968 to the present.