Violence: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Human Trafficking
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Chemical and Biological Weapons
- Domestic Violence
- Gun Control
- Hate Crimes
- Human Trafficking
- Nuclear Proliferation
- Sexual Assault/Rape
- Video Games
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Wisconsin Department of JusticeState and national information about human trafficking. Gain access to the free online book Hidden in Plain Sight: A Baseline Survey of Human Trafficking in Wisconsin (PDF).
- Amnesty InternationalAI is an unbiased organization promoting human rights around the world, including working to end human trafficking.According to AI: "Human trafficking is a violation of human rights including the right to human dignity, to physical and mental integrity, to freedom of movement, to freedom from torture and in some cases even to the right to life. Governments must ensure protection and respect of the rights of trafficked people – including women and children trafficked into forced prostitution."
- Human Rights WatchThis respected human rights organization works to provide information to stop human trafficking among its many goals.search for "human trafficking" or Filter by Topic "Trafficking of Women and Girls"
- INTERPOL - Trafficking in Human BeingsThe International Criminal Police Organization is the largest international police organization in the world. Its goals include working to stop people smuggling and the sexual exploitation of women and children.
- Polaris Project: Combating Human Trafficking and Modern-day SlaverySince its foundation in 2002, the Polaris Project in a non-profit organization working to end human slavery and trafficking around the world.
- Trafficking in Persons Report from the U.S. Department of StateThe U.S. Secretary of State submits this report yearly regarding sex trafficking and involuntary labor.
- Trafficking in Women - Explore the IssueThis site is sponsored by the University of Minnesota's "Stop Violence Against Women" group and the Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights.
- Trafficking in Persons: Global PatternsOnline resource from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- Universal Declaration of Human RightsOn December 10, 1948 the General Assembly of the United Nations ratified this set of inalienable rights.Note especially: Article 4, Article 9, and Article 13 among others
- UNODC on Human Trafficking and Migrant SmugglingThis site is hosted by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008Public Law 110-457 from the 110th U.S. Congressthis link requires Adobe Reader or other PDF reader software-- can also download text version from: http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS109386
About Human Trafficking
This guide provides an introduction to the political, legal, moral, and social aspects of human trafficking. A special emphasis is placed on the trafficking of women and children for sexual and labor exploitation.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: human smuggl*, trafficking AND "human beings", child slave*, child slave* AND modern, and palermo protocol.
Overview Resources - Background Information
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center(OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Human Rights in Our Own Backyard by William T. Armaline (Editor); Davita Silfen Glasberg (Editor); Bandana Purkayastha (Editor)ISBN: 0812222571Publication Date: 2013-03-14
- Human Trafficking: A Reference Handbook by Alexis A. AronowitzISBN: 9781440834844Publication Date: 2017-02-24
- Hidden in Plain Sight: America's Slaves of the New Millenium by Kimberly Mehlman-OrozcoISBN: 9781440854033Publication Date: 2017-10-27
- Merchants of Men: How Jihadists and ISIS Turned Kidnapping and Refugee Trafficking into a Multibillion-Dollar Business by Loretta NapoleoniISBN: 9781609807085Publication Date: 2016-08-30
- Slavery, Inc: The Untold Story of International Sex Trafficking by Lydia Cacho; Roberto Saviano (Translator); Elizabeth Boburg (Translator)ISBN: 9781619022966Publication Date: 2014-05-13
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic Search PremierIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- International Bibliography of the Social SciencesIndexes the information contained in over 2,600 social sciences journals and 6,000 books each year. Coverage includes both core and specialized material from over 100 countries in more than 90 languages in the fields of economics, political science, sociology and anthropology.
- Web of ScienceThe Web of Science is a combination of three databases: Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. It indexes more than 8,000 peer-reviewed journals, providing complete bibliographic data and author abstracts. It is possible to search the three databases independently or in any combination.
Statistics and Data
- Data Citation IndexThe Data Citation Index provides a single point of access to quality research data from repositories across disciplines and around the world. Through linked content and summary information, this data is displayed within the broader context of the scholarly research, enabling users to gain perspective that is lost when data sets or repositories are viewed in isolation.
- The Dark Business of Human Trafficking - DVDThis documentary explores the current worldwide boom in illicit migration and looks at the dire circumstances that drive desperate people from their homes.