Sports: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Fan Culture
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Fan Culture
- Paying Student Athletes
- Sports & Drugs
- Sports Mascots
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- The Organization for Transformative WorksThe Organization for Transformative Works (OTW) is a nonprofit organization run by and for fans to provide access to and preserve the history of fanworks and fan cultures.
About Fan Culture
This research guide provides introductory resources for those who are interested in doing research on fan cultures, from sports to movies to television, and their social aspects.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: fan Culture OR fandom, fan culture AND youth, fan culture AND popular culture, fan culture AND sports, fan culture AND economics, fan culture AND gender, fan culture AND participation, fan culture AND group identity, fan culture AND production.
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoint in ContextOpposing Viewpoints in Context provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Superfandom: How Our Obsessions Are Changing What We Buy and Who We Are by Zoe Fraade-Blanar; Aaron M. GlazerISBN: 9780393249958Publication Date: 2017-03-21
- Fan Girls and the Media by Adrienne Trier-BieniekISBN: 9781442246553Publication Date: 2015-02-12
- Television, Social Media, and Fan Culture by Alison F. Slade (Editor); Amber J. Narro (Editor); Dedria Givens-Carroll (Editor)ISBN: 1498506178Publication Date: 2015-11-15
- Understanding Fandom by Mark DuffettISBN: 9781441158550Publication Date: 2013-08-15
- Evolution of the Modern Sports Fan: Communicative Approaches by Andrew C. Billings (Editor, Contribution by); Kenon A. Brown (Editor, Contribution by)ISBN: 9781498546270Publication Date: 2017-03-21
Articles- Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchAcademic Search Premier is a multidisciplinary database that provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including approximately 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. A total of 8,500 journals are indexed and abstracted.
- Sociological AbstractsThe Sociological Abstracts database indexes and abstracts 2,000 worldwide journals in sociology. Relevant dissertations have been added since 1986.
- Communication & Mass Media CompleteIncludes articles on communication topics.
- SPORTDiscusThe SPORTDiscus with Full Text database covers both serial and monographic literature in several areas of sport.
- JSTORProvides image and full-text online access to back issues of selected scholarly journals in history, economics, political science, demography, mathematics and other fields of the humanities and social sciences.
- Data Citation IndexThe Data Citation Index provides a single point of access to quality research data from repositories across disciplines and around the world.