Sports: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Paying Student Athletes
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Fan Culture
- Paying Student Athletes
- Sports & Drugs
- Sports Mascots
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- National Collegiate Athletic AssociationThe National Collegiate Athletic Association is a member-led organization dedicated to providing a pathway to opportunity for college athletes.
- National College Players AssociationThe National College Players Association is a nonprofit organization comprised of over 20,000 current and former college athletes nationwide that works to protect future, current, and former college athletes.
About Paying Student Athletes
This research guide provides introductory resources on the topic of paying student athletes. Current National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulation requires student athletes to certify their amateur status and prohibits student athletes from receiving payment for their athletic performance. The guide includes sources from a variety of perspectives, including history, NCAA policies, and legal resources.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page:
athletic scholarship, college sports, college athlet*, student athletes, college sports AND compensation, college athlet* AND amateur*, college sports AND labor, college sports AND antitrust law, college sports AND revenue
Overview Resources - Background Information
- NCAA Statement on AmateurismThe official National Collegiate Athletic Association statement on the amateur status of college athletes.
- Opposing Viewpoints in ContextOpposing Viewpoints in Context provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Same Players, Different Game by John C. BarnesCall Number: ebookISBN: 0826361293Publication Date: 2020-03-30
- Black Athletic Sporting Experiences in the United States: Critical Race Theory by Billy J. Hawkins (Editor); Akilah R. Carter-Francique (Editor); Joseph N. Cooper (Editor)ISBN: 9781137600370Publication Date: 2016-12-30
- University Ethics: How Colleges Can Build and Benefit from a Culture of Ethics by James F. KeenanISBN: 9781442223721Publication Date: 2015-05-14
- Pay for Play: A History of Big-Time College Athletic Reform by Ronald A. SmithISBN: 9780252077838Publication Date: 2010-12-01
- Bowled Over: Big-Time College Football from the Sixties to the BCS Era by Michael OriardISBN: 9780807833292Publication Date: 2009-11-01
Articles- Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- SPORTDiscusThe SPORTDiscus with Full Text database covers both serial and monographic literature in several areas of sport.
- Education Research CompleteEducation Research Complete is a bibliographic and full-text database covering scholarly research and information in all fields of education, from early childhood to higher ed, including educational specialty fields (e.g. multilingual education, health education, testing), curriculum instruction, administration, policy, funding, and related social issues.
- Equity in Athletics Data AnalysisThe Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool is brought to you by the Office of Postsecondary Education of the U.S. Department of Education. This analysis cutting tool was designed to provide rapid customized reports for public inquiries relating to equity in athletics data.