Mental Health: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Suicide
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Autism Spectrum
- Body Image
- Depression and Anxiety
- Eating Disorders
- Stereotype Threat
- Stress Management
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Prevent Suicide WisconsinA Wisconsin organization whose aim is to prevent and reduce the number of suicides in the state each year.
- Suicide Prevention Resource CenterThe Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC) is the nation’s only federally supported resource center devoted to advancing the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention.
- American Association of SuicidologyThis organization's mission is to promote research, public awareness programs, and public education about suicide prevention. In addition, it serves as a national clearinghouse for information on suicide.
- American Foundation for Suicide PreventionThis organization is dedicated to advancing knowledge about suicide and its prevention.
- Death with DignityThe mission of the Death with Dignity National Center is to promote Death with Dignity laws based on our model legislation, the Oregon Death with Dignity Act, both to provide an option for dying individuals and to stimulate nationwide improvements in end-of-life care.
Get Help Now
If you are feeling suicidal or know someone who is, UW-Madison's University Health Services are here to help you. Get help at any time at their Mental Health Line - 608-265-5600, option 9.
This guide includes sources dealing with suicide prevention, suicide statistics, and sociological and ethical issues concerning suicide.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: suicide and ethic*, suicide and (teen* or adolescen*), suicide and (aged or elder*), suicide and right to die, suicide and african american*, suicide and prevent*, suicide and psychology
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Medline Plus: SuicideBackground information and statistics on suicide in the United States.
- Suicide in the United StatesThis site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It includes facts, statistics, and governmental publications on suicide.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- CQ ResearcherCQ Researcher contains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day.
- Deaths of Despair and the Future of Capitalism by Anne Case; Angus DeatonCall Number: ebookISBN: 9780691217062Publication Date: 2021-03-02
- The Return of the Sun by Michael J. KralCall Number: E99.E7 K73 2019ISBN: 9780190269333Publication Date: 2019-08-01
- Suicide Prevention by Samuel KnappCall Number: ebookISBN: 9781433830808Publication Date: 2019-08-01
- The Last and Greatest Battle: Finding The Will, Commitment, and Strategy to End Military Suicides by John BatesonISBN: 9780199392322Publication Date: 2015-01-30
- Death on Demand: Jack Kevorkian and the Right-to-Die Movement by Michael DeCesareISBN: 9781442242135Publication Date: 2015-07-01
- Suicide : The Philosophical Dimensions by Michael CholbiISBN: 1551119056Publication Date: 2011-08-26
- Myths about Suicide by Thomas JoinerISBN: 9780674048225Publication Date: 2010-04-15
- Suicidal Behavior in Children and Adolescents by Barry M. WagnerISBN: 9780300112504Publication Date: 2009-10-27
- Understanding and Preventing Suicide by Kristine BertiniISBN: 9780313355301Publication Date: 2009-03-20
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- PsycInfoThis includes articles in the field of psychology as well as about the psychological aspects of related disciplines.
- Health Source: Nursing/AcademicThis resource provides articles focusing on many medical disciplines.
- SocINDEXSocINDEX encompasses all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
- How to Die in OregonFilmmaker Peter Richardson gently enters the lives of the terminally ill as they consider whether--and when--to end their lives by lethal overdose. Richardson examines both sides of the complex, emotionally charged issue. What emerges is a life-affirming, staggeringly powerful portrait of what it means to die with dignity.