Mental Health: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Depression and Anxiety
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Autism Spectrum
- Body Image
- Depression and Anxiety
- Eating Disorders
- Stereotype Threat
- Stress Management
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- National Association of Medical Illness (NAMI) Wisconsin“NAMI Wisconsin is a grassroots organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for those affected by mental illness throughout Wisconsin.”
- American Psychological Association“Based in Washington, DC, the American Psychological Association (APA) is a scientific and professional organization that represents psychology in the United States.
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America"Non-profit organization provides information and support for patients and health professionals, with details of conditions, and lists of resources."
- Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation“This national organization seeks to educate professionals and the public about early-onset bipolar disorders. It provides information on the disorders as well as links to medical Web sites, related organizations, online audio and video presentations.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance“The nation’s leading patient-directed organization focusing on the most prevalent mental illnesses – depression and bipolar disorder. The organization fosters an understanding about the impact and management of these life-threatening illnesses.
- National Alliance om Mental Illness (NAMI)“NAMI is a nonprofit, grassroots, self-help, support and advocacy organization of consumers, families, and friends of people with severe mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder.
About Depression and Anxiety
This research guide will direct you to resources for understanding depressive and anxiety disorders and their causes, symptoms, treatments, and effects on society.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: clinical depression, major depression, bipolar disorder, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, "generalized anxiety disorder", depression AND treatment, depression AND memory, anxiety AND treatment, antidepressants, mental illness, social anxiety, mental health
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Fact sheets, tools and checklistsProvides fact sheets on a number of mental health disorders and treatments. From the medical school at the University of Michigan.
- National Mental Health Information CenterWeb site sponsored by the National Department of Health and Human Services Center for Mental Health Services/Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- NIMH – DepressionInformation about depression from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Depression by Jonathan RottenbergISBN: 9780190083144Publication Date: 2021
- A Cure for Darkness by Alex RileyISBN: 9781501198779Publication Date: 2021
- The Positive Power of Sadness: How Good Grief Prevents and Cures Anxiety, Depression, and Anger by Ronald Johnson; Deborah BrockISBN: 9781440854996Publication Date: 2017-03-09
- Anxious: Using the Brain to Understand and Treat Fear and Anxiety by Joseph LeDouxISBN: 9780670015337Publication Date: 2015
- Anxiety by Allan V. HorwitzISBN: 9781421410807Publication Date: 2013-08-23
- Angst by Jeffrey P. KahnISBN: 0199796440Publication Date: 2012-10-23
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchA general/multi-disciplinary database with articles on many topics.
- PsycINFOThis includes a million citations in the field of psychology and also information about the psychological aspects of related disciplines such as medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, anthropology, business and law.
- Psych OnlinePsychiatryOnline is a tool available for psychiatric information, built around resources that psychiatrists, mental health professionals, researchers, and students use every day.
Statistics and Data
- NAMI - About Mental IllnessStatistical data from NAMI on the nature and severity of mental illnesses.
- National Institutes of Mental Health: StatisticsNIMH’s statistical data on the prevalence of different mental illnesses in America.