Gender and Women's Studies (GWS) Portal : Home
Welcome to the UW-Madison Libraries GWS Portal!
This portal is intended to guide students and researchers to helpful resources related to gender and women's studies located both on and off UW-Madison's campus. Here you will find information about the Office of the Gender and Women's Studies Librarian, the GWS Department, GWS-related collections, additional library services, research support, and more.
Contact Karla J. Strand, Gender and Women's Studies Librarian, with any questions.
UW System Office of the Gender and Women's Studies Librarian
The UW System Office of the Gender and Women’s Studies Librarian (GWSL) is one of the premier resources for support of gender, women’s studies, and LGBTQ+ scholarship and librarianship. Based at UW-Madison, the GWSL provides bibliographic and curriculum support, inter-institutional cooperation, information sharing, and advocacy related to the fields of women’s, gender, and LGBTQ+ studies and to gender-focused scholarship in the traditional disciplines, to those in Wisconsin and beyond.
We value and affirm the role that libraries and other information services play in the empowerment of people in our community and beyond. Through local, national, and international partnerships, we aim to provide relevant resources, skills, and support to those researching and working to improve the lives of women and girls throughout the world.
Helpful resources from the Office of the Gender & Women's Studies Librarian:
- Bibliographies in Gender and Women's Studies (over 90 helpful bibliographies curated since 1977 on a variety of topics)
- Dorothy (database that collects details for productions primarily released since 2010 by and about GWS)
- Feminist Periodicals: A Current Listing of Contents (useful to browse to see what's been published recently in over 150 feminist/gender periodicals--can help in choosing course paper topics)
- Resources For Gender and Women's Studies: A Feminist Review (reviews the latest print, video, and digital resources for research and teaching in gender and women’s studies)
- Sylvia (a database of scholarly books in the field of GWS)
- Wisconsin Women Making History (a growing digital resource that provides students and lifetime learners an online destination to find remarkable women who have contributed to Wisconsin’s state legacy)
- Women's Knowledge Digital Library (WKDL - an open access portal of information by and about women and girls)