Mass Media: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Women in Advertising
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Body Image
- Copyright/Intellectual Property
- Media Bias
- Social Media
- Women in Advertising
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Alternative Press IndexAlternative Press Index indexes more than 300 alternative, radical, and left publications. Subjects covered include social and cultural theory, socialism, ecology, democracy, anarchism, feminism, organized labor, indigenous peoples, and gays & lesbians (LGBT), among others.
- UW Madison's Center for Research on Gender & WomenThe Center for Research on Gender & Women was established in 1977 as part of the Women's Studies Program. The Center promotes scholarly interactions between women's studies researchers on campus, as well as linkages with women's studies programs and scholars nationally and internationally.
- About-FaceAbout-Face's mission is to equip women and girls with tools to understand and resist harmful media messages that affect self-esteem and body image.
- Center for Media LiteracyCML is an online reference center for background articles, core research studies and timely reports as well as an historical archive documenting the development of media literacy in the United States.
- Media Awareness Network-Women and GirlsMedia Smarts focuses its efforts on equipping adults with information and tools to help young people understand how the media work, how the media may affect their lifestyle choices and the extent to which they, as consumers and citizens, are being well informed.
- National Organization for WomenThe National Organization for Women (NOW) is the largest organization of feminist activists in the United States. NOW has 500,000 contributing members and 550 chapters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. NOW works to eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace, schools, the justice system, and all other sectors of society;
About Women in Advertising
This guide covers how women and girls are portrayed in advertisements. Related issues such as stereotyping, gender discrimination, sex roles, body image, and the objectification of women in the context of advertising are also treated in this guide.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: women AND advertising, sexism AND advertising, women AND "body image", "sex role" and advertising, sexism AND media, "gender stereotyping" AND advertising, "portrayal of women" AND media
Overview Resoruces-Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoint in ContextOpposing Viewpoints in Context provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Face Value: The Hidden Ways That Beauty Shapes Women's Lives by Autumn Whitefield-MadranoISBN: 9781476754000Publication Date: 2016-06-21
- Soap, Sex, and Cigarettes: A Cultural History of American Advertising by Juliann SivulkaISBN: 1111345317Publication Date: 2011-03-03
- Airbrushed Nation: The Lure and Loathing of Women's Magazines by Jennifer NelsonISBN: 1580054137Publication Date: 2012-10-30
- Circuits of Visibility: Gender and Transnational Media Cultures by Radha S. HegdeISBN: 0814737307Publication Date: 2011-07-18
- Food Is Love: Advertising and Gender Roles in Modern America by Katherine J. ParkinISBN: 9780812219920Publication Date: 2007-01-17
Articles- Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- GenderWatchA gender, women, and gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) issues database with thousands of English-language full-text articles from over 200 magazines, academic journals, regional publications, and newsletters.
- Women's Studies InternationalWomen's Studies International indexes women's studies, women's issues, and gender-focused books, book chapters, journal and magazine articles, dissertations, and reports from throughout the world, starting in about 1972.
- Communication & Mass Media CompleteCMMC incorporates CommSearch (formerly produced by the National Communication Association) and Mass Media Articles Index (formerly produced by Penn State) along with numerous other journals to create a research and reference resource of unprecedented scope and depth in the communication and mass media fields.
Statistics and Data
- Data Citation IndexThe Data Citation Index provides a single point of access to quality research data from repositories across disciplines and around the world. Through linked content and summary information, this data is displayed within the broader context of the scholarly research, enabling users to gain perspective that is lost when data sets or repositories are viewed in isolation.