Food and Nutrition: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Vegetarianism/Veganism
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Childhood Obesity
- Eating Disorders
- Food Allergies
- Food Shortages/Food Supply
- Local and Organic Food
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- American Vegan Society"American Vegan Society is... a nonprofit, nonsectarian, nonpolitical, tax-exempt educational membership organization teaching a compassionate way of living."
- North American Vegetarian Society"Founded in 1974, the North American Vegetarian Society (NAVS) is a non-profit tax-exempt educational organization. Our focus is... to inform the public about how vegetarianism benefits humans, other animals and our shared earth."
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)"People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 6.5 million members and supporters."
- The Vegetarian Society"The Vegetarian Society influences, inspires and supports people to embrace and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle."
- VegMadisonIncludes local Madison restaurants and vegan/vegetarian social groups
This guide provides an introduction to sources dealing with the topics of vegetarianism and veganism, including: food politics, culture and history, recipes, health and nutritional information, environmental impacts, and animal rights campaigns.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: vegetarian*, vegan*, (vegetarian* OR vegan) AND diet, (vegetarian* OR vegan) AND nutrition, (vegetarian* OR vegan) AND health, food AND politic* AND animal welfare, animal* AND ethic*, food AND ethic* AND animal*, (vegetarian* OR vegan) AND environment
Overview Resources - Background Information
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- "Vegetarian Diet" from the Mayo ClinicVegetarianism factsheet from the Mayo Clinic.
- Moral Foods by Angela Ki Che Leung (Editor, Contribution by); Melissa L. Caldwell (Editor, Contribution by); Robert Ji-Song Ku (Editor); Christine R. Yano (Editor); David Arnold (Contribution by); Francesca Bray (Contribution by); Jia-Chen Fu (Contribution by); Tae-Ho Kim (Contribution by); Michael Shiyung Liu (Contribution by); Tatsuya Mitsuda (Contribution by); Izumi Nakayama (Contribution by); Robert Peckham (Contribution by); Volker Scheid (Contribution by); Hilary A. Smith (Contribution by); Lawrence Lok Cheung Zhang (Contribution by)Call Number: ebookISBN: 9780824879570Publication Date: 2020-04-06
- Through a Vegan Studies Lens by Laura Wright (Editor)Call Number: ebookISBN: 9781948908092Publication Date: 2019-02-20
- The Moral Complexities of Eating Meat by Ben Bramble (Editor); Bob Fischer (Editor)ISBN: 9780199353903Publication Date: 2015-11-02
- Becoming Vegan: Comprehensive Edition by Brenda Davis; Vesanto MelinaISBN: 9781570672972Publication Date: 2014-08-01
- Betty Goes Vegan: 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family by Dan Shannon; Annie ShannonISBN: 9781455509331Publication Date: 2013-02-05
- The Modern Savage: Our Unthinking Decision to Eat Animals by James McWilliamsISBN: 9781250031198Publication Date: 2015-01-06
- Meathooked: The History and Science of Our 2.5-Million-Year Obsession with Meat by Marta ZaraskaISBN: 9780465036622Publication Date: 2016-02-23
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- CAB AbstractsIncludes all aspects of crop production and agronomy. Worldwide coverage. Focus on applied field research.
- Food Science and Technology Abstracts (FSTA)Covers a wide range of food products and production processes, food law and toxicology.
- PubMedIndexes leading journals in medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, allied health, health care systems, and pre-clinical sciences.
- SocIndexIncludes full text for a variety of journals and books encompassing all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
- Web of ScienceContains articles about a variety of topics. The unique "Cited Reference" search allows you to find all the papers that have cited a specific author or article. It is an easy way to follow the experts to find recent developments, responses, and even retractions.
Statistics and Data
- Polling the NationsA compilation of questions and responses from more than 14,000 national, state, local and special surveys in the U.S. and more than 80 other countries. Sources of data include: Gallup Poll, New York Times, Pew Foundation, Roper Organization, and many more