Food and Nutrition: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Local and Organic Food
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Childhood Obesity
- Eating Disorders
- Food Allergies
- Food Shortages/Food Supply
- Local and Organic Food
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- FairShare CSA CoalitionMadison-based nonprofit organization that says via "education, outreach, community building and resource sharing, we are working to raise the bar on quality and accessibility of CSA shares in our region"
- Research, Education, Action and Policy on Food Group (REAP)Madison-based nonprofit organization "working throughout Southern Wisconsin to build and sustain a local food system that supports small family farms and locally owned businesses, promotes sustainable agriculture practices, and provides access to fresh, healthy food for the entire community"
- Slow Food UW"Slow Food UW is driven by the dedication of UW students volunteering to help promote 'good, clean and fair food for all'"
- Midwest Organic & Sustainable Education ServiceSpring Valley, WI-based nonprofit "offers information on just about every aspect of organic production plus access to resources such as our Upper Midwest Organic Resource Directory, our Guidebook for Organic Certification, and more than 30 fact sheets"
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United NationsIncludes glossary, FAQ, links, and data by country.
- Organic Trade Association"Organic Trade Association (OTA) is a membership-based business association that focuses on the organic business community in North America. OTA's mission is to promote and protect the growth of organic trade to benefit the environment, farmers, the public and the economy"
About Local and Organic Food
This guide provides an introduction to sources dealing with local and organic food, including sustainable agriculture, standards for organic food production, community-supported agriculture, and farmers markets.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: "organic food" AND production, "organic food" AND standards, "organic food" AND certification, "sustainable agriculture," "community-supported agriculture," "organic food" AND health, "organic food" AND environment
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Food Policy InstituteThe Food Policy Institute is a research unit of Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey that addresses food policy issues.
- Midwest Organic & Sustainable Education ServiceSpring Valley, WI-based nonprofit organization dedicated to providing educational resources for sustainable farming
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Alternative Farming Systems Information Center"The Alternative Farming Systems Information Center (AFSIC) specializes in identifying resources about sustainable food systems and practices in support of USDA's effort to ensure a sustainable future for agriculture and farmers worldwide"
- Hot, Hungry Planet: The Fight to Stop a Global Food Crisis in the Face of Climate Change by Lisa PalmerISBN: 9781250084200Publication Date: 2017-05-09
- Organic Struggle: The Movement for Sustainable Agriculture in the United States by Brian K. ObachISBN: 9780262029094Publication Date: 2015-05-08
- Lentil Underground: Renegade Farmers and the Future of Food in America by Liz CarlisleISBN: 9781592409204Publication Date: 2015-01-22
- Genetically Modified Foods: Basics, Application, and Controversy by Salah E. O. MahgoubISBN: 9781482242812Publication Date: 2015-06-24
- Food Co-Ops in America: Communities, Consumption, and Economic Democracy by Anne Meis KnupferISBN: 9780801451140Publication Date: 2013-05-21
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- AGRICOLA (US National Agricultural Library)AGRICOLA offers agricultural information from 1970 to the present. Its resources cover all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines.
- CABI: CAB Abstracts (Agriculture & Veterinary)The subject matter covers agriculture, agricultural economics, animal breeding and disease, biotechnology, dairy science, entomology, forestry, horticulture, microbiology, nutrition, plant breeding and pathology, rural sociology, soil science, veterinary science, and weeds.
- FAOSTAT: FAO Statistical Databases (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations)Covers agricultural production, agricultural trade, nutrition, fertilizer and pesticides, land use and irrigation, forest products, fishery products, population, agricultural machinery and food aid shipments.
- FSTA: Food Science & TechnologyThe subject matter covers beverages, cocoa and chocolate, commodity technology, dairy products, dietetic foods, fats and oils, fermentation technology, fish, flour and bakery products, food additives and engineering, food hygiene, food laws, meat and poultry, sugars, and toxicology.
- SocINDEXThe database encompasses all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
Statistics and Data
- Data Sets on Organic AgricultureData compiled by the USDA's Economic Research Service on proportion of U.S. farm acreage dedicated to organic production, prices of organic commodities over time, and more.
- Statistics about Organic Farming and Organic Markets/MarketingFind U.S. and international data about organic acreage, sales, prices and more from government, industry and organizational sources. Compiled by the USDA's Alternative Farming Systems Information Center.