Food and Nutrition: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Eating Disorders
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Childhood Obesity
- Eating Disorders
- Food Allergies
- Food Shortages/Food Supply
- Local and Organic Food
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Wisconsin United for Mental HealthWisconsin United for Mental Health (WUMH) is a coalition of Wisconsin citizens who share a dream of a society in which people are not labeled or judged as lesser or unworthy on the basis of health diagnosis. The coalition is committed to working in unity for the purpose of eliminating the stigma of mental illness.
- Mental Health America of Wisconsin"Mental Health America of Wisconsin (MHA) is an affiliate of the nation's largest and oldest community-based network dedicated to helping all Americans live mentally healthier lives."
- National Association of Anorexia and Associated Disorders (ANAD)A non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating the problems of eating disorders and promoting healthy lifestyles. ANAD strives to educate the general public and professionals in the health care field to be more aware of the illnesses relating to eating disorders and methods of treatment.
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)A non-profit organization that works to prevent eating disorders and provide treatment referrals. The site contains information about eating disorders and NEDA programs.
- Overeaters Anonymous"Overeaters Anonymous (OA) offers a program of recovery from compulsive overeating." The site includes information on meetings and OA resources.
About Eating Disorders
This guide will assist you in finding information about eating disorders, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia, and binge eating.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: eating disorders, eating disorder* AND depression, binge eating disorder, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, anorexia AND teen*, anorexia AND elderly, bulimia AND women, appetite disorder, compulsive eating, anorexia AND treatment
Overview Resources - Background Information
- MedlinePlus: Eating DisordersA service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, Medline provides authoritative information on eating disorders as well as issues, clinical trials, and research related eating disorders.
- Dying To Be ThinAn exploration of the eating disorders anorexia and bulimia, based on the PBS program of the same name, which is available on video on the site. Provides questions and answers from experts, what nutrition the body needs, places to share stories and more.
- National Institute of Mental Health: Eating DisordersThis page from the National Institute of Mental Health includes background information on eating disorders, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating disorder, as well as information about risk factors, signs and symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and research.
- The Office of Women's Health: Eating DisordersThe federal government source for women's health information, this site provides general information on eating disorders and contains many links to other resources (many from government agencies).
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Body of Truth: How Science, History, and Culture Drive Our Obsession with Weight--and What We Can Do About It by Harriet BrownISBN: 9780738217703Publication Date: 2015-03-24
- The Psychology of Eating and Drinking by Alexandra W. LogueISBN: 9780415817080Publication Date: 2014-12-16
- Fear of Food: A History of Why We Worry About What We Eat by Harvey LevensteinISBN: 9780226473741Publication Date: 2012-04-15
- Body Shots: Hollywood and the Culture of Eating Disorder by Emily Fox-Kales (Editor)ISBN: 1438435290Publication Date: 2011-04-01
- The Psychology of Eating: From Healthy to Disordered Behavior by Jane OgdenISBN: 1405191201Publication Date: 2010-02-01
- Famished by Rebecca J. LesterCall Number: ebookISBN: 9780520972902Publication Date: 2019-11-19
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- PsycINFOInformation about the psychological aspects of related disciplines such as medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, anthropology, business and law.
- Social Work AbstractsSocial Work Abstracts contains citations and abstracts to articles from more than journals in the areas of the social work profession, theory and practice, areas of service, social issues, and social problems.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (Nursing and Allied Health Literature)Includes articles on nursing, biomedicine, health sciences librarianship, alternative/complementary medicine, consumer health and other allied health disciplines.