Copyright for Digital Media Assignments : Permissions
This guide provides resources regarding copyright for students using images, video, and music for Digital Media Assignments.
If your intended use exceeds copyright restrictions on a particular work and you cannot make a Fair Use Argument, you should seek permission from the copyright owner.
- Determine the copyright owner.
Hint: This could be the publisher, author, artist, photographer, videographer, etc.
- Contact the copyright holder for each object you plan to use.
Hint: This can take time, so plan ahead. Many websites have copyright permission links in their page footers or home page.
Hint: Many publishers are members of the Copyright Clearance Center. Contact CCC.
- Include the following in your permission request:
- Your name and contact information
- The object you wish to use
- How you intend to use the object
- What format you will use
- Whether your use is for educational or commercial purposes
- Why you want to use the object
- Your intention to acknowledge the author/creator and in what format
- Keep a record of all correspondence.