LITTRANS 275: Literature in Translation: The Tales of Hans Christian Andersen (Fall 2022) : Find Books
Books often provide background and comprehensive information about a topic. Books are sometimes collections of book articles or chapters on a general topic. To find books and more on your topic, search the Library Catalog. Note that you will not find journal articles in the Library Catalog. For those, you will need to use article databases instead.
- Use Advanced Search. See search hints that appear in the boxes.
- To find works by an author, use the Authors/Creators box. For example:
- Andersen, H.C.
- To search for books by title, use the Title box.
- To search for books with biographical information on your author or criticism of the author's work, use the Keywords box. Search author name AND biography or search author name AND criticism. For example:
- Andersen, H. C. AND biography
- Andersen, H. C. AND criticism
- To search for books related to your author, author's work, and/or themes, use the Keywords box. For example:
- Scandinavia AND religion
- Filter your search results by Available Online, Libraries, Formats, Subjects, or Languages.
- Look at Subjects (tags describing what items listed are about) to identify additional keywords For example
- Andersen, H.C. (Hans Christian), 1805-1875 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Fairy tales
- Note location and call number to locate book on shelf.
- Use Memorial Library Stack Guide, if the book is located in Memorial Library. Books with call numbers PT7601-8360 are shelved on 4M South. 4M is the level between the fourth and fifth floors.
- Search and request books from campus libraries & UW System campuses
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request books not available on campus. The Interlibrary Loan service is free. When the book is available for pick up, you will be notified via email.
Subject Headings & Call Numbers
Look at subject headings, the words the Catalog uses to describe what books and other items are about. You can use these terms to find other items.
Some useful subject headings:
- Danish literature--History and criticism.
- Andersen, H.C. (Hans Christian), 1805-1875.
- Scandinavian literature--History and criticism.
Books are shelved by call number. Call numbers have subject meaning. For example
- Call numbers in this range PT7601-8360 will be about Danish literature