United States Government: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Legislative Branch
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Constitutional Amendments
- Executive Branch/The President
- Judicial Branch
- Legislative Branch
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Congress.govCongress.gov contains federal legislative information from the United States government. It is the new platform for legislation, the Congressional Record, committee reports, nominations, treaties, Senate and House Executive Communications and member profiles.
About the Legislative Branch
This guide suggests resources about the Legislative Branch and related issues, including balance of powers, Congressional districts, and representation.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: The Legislative Branch OR Senate OR Congress, The Legislative Branch AND Separation of Powers, The Legislative Branch AND Balance of Powers, The Legislative Branch AND Term Limits, The Legislative Branch AND Checks and Balances.
Overview Resources - Background Information
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Opposing Viewpoint in ContextOpposing Viewpoints in Context provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Congress: The first branch by Benjamin Ginsberg; Kathryn Wagner HillCall Number: ebook or JK1021.G558 2019ISBN: 0300249616Publication Date: 2019-09-23
- Waging War: The Clash Between Presidents and Congress by David J. BarronISBN: 9781451681970Publication Date: 2016-10-04
- Unlock Congress: Reform the Rules, Restore the System by Michael GoldenISBN: 9780984991983Publication Date: 2015-04-15
- The American Congress by Steven S. Smith; Jason M. Roberts; Ryan J. Vander WielenISBN: 9781107571785Publication Date: 2015-07-22
- Congress and Its Members by Roger H. Davidson; Walter J. Oleszek; Frances E. Lee; Eric SchicklerISBN: 9781452239958Publication Date: 2013-07-22
Articles- Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchAcademic Search Premier is a multidisciplinary database that provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including approximately 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. A total of 8,500 journals are indexed and abstracted.
- Congressional Hearings (ProQuest Congressional)Published and unpublished hearings from U.S. Congressional committee hearings proceedings. All hearings contain the full transcripts of the proceedings, including all oral statements, committee questions, and discussion. 1824-2003
- LexisNexisApproximately 5000 legal, news, reference, & business sources, most full text. It includes international & U.S. newspapers, ethnic & regional news sources, wire services, newsletters, trade journals, industry analyst reports, and broadcast transcripts.
- PAIS (Public Affairs)Public Affairs Information Service indexes more than 900 journals; books; government documents; statistical compilations; committee reports; directories; serials; reports of public, intergovernmental, and private organizations; and most other forms of printed literature from all over the world.
- Statistical Abstract of the United StatesThis tool is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States. Sources of data include the Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis, and many other Federal agencies and private organizations.