International/Global Affairs: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Chemical and Biological Weapons
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Autonomous/Secession Movements
- Chemical and Biological Weapons
- European Union
- Food Shortages/Food Supply
- Human Trafficking
- Immigration - United States
- Nuclear Proliferation
- Palestine and Israel
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Center for Nonproliferation StudiesCNS at the Monterey Institute of International Studies is the largest nongovernmental organization in the United States devoted exclusively to research & training to stop the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD).
About Chemical and Biological Weapons
This guide focuses on chemical and biological weapons in the late 20th and 21st centuries. Issues include: bioterrorism and security; weapons inspection; use of these weapons during war; treaties and disarmament; and emergency preparation and response.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: (anthrax or smallpox) AND terrorism, bioterrorism AND preparedness, biological weapons AND Iraq, chemical weapons AND Persian Gulf War, chemical weapons AND Vietnam War, biological weapons AND inspection, chemical weapons AND arms control, weapons of mass destruction, "Chemical Weapons Convention", "Biological Weapons Convention"
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Emergency Preparedness & ResponseThis site contains facts about specific chemical and biological agents, as well as information for civilians and professionals on health and vaccines, safety and emergency response. Includes links, articles, and reports.
- Chemical & Biological Weapons Resource PageAnnotated directory of resources, maintained by Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS), Monterey Institute of International Studies.
- MEDLINEplus Health Information: Biodefense and BioterrorismHigh-quality information about biological weapons, including anthrax, botulism, mustard gas, plague, smallpox, and tularemia. Also includes news and general resources about bioterrorism.
- MedlinePlus: Chemical EmergenciesHigh-quality information about chemical weapon and other chemical hazard health issues, including latest news, overviews, specific conditions, and related links. From the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of International Security and NonproliferationThis site contains information about the nonproliferation strategies and actions of the United States government. Includes documents, legislation and press releases.
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Over the Horizon Proliferation Threats by James J. Wirtz (General Editor); Peter R. Lavoy (General Editor)ISBN: 0804774013Publication Date: 2012-04-25
- Weapons of Mass DestructionISBN: 9780816078271Publication Date: 2010-04-01
- A History of Chemical and Biological Weapons by Edward M. SpiersISBN: 9781861896513Publication Date: 2010-04-30
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- Military & Government CollectionIncludes articles on all branches of the military.
- Public Affairs Information Service (PAIS)Includes articles on public policy, social policy, and the social sciences in general.
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Abstracts (BBA)Includes articles across all areas of biotechnology and bioengineering, including medical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, environmental and marine biology.