Human Sexuality: An Undergraduate Research Guide : STDs/STIs/Safe(r) Sex
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- LGBQ Topics
- Sexual Harassment
- STDs/STIs/Safe(r) Sex
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Planned Parenthood Organization of America“Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. is the world's largest and most trusted voluntary reproductive health care organization. Founded by Margaret Sanger in 1916 as America's first birth control clinic, Planned Parenthood believes in everyone's right to choose when or whether to have a child, that every child should be wanted and loved, and that women should be in charge of their own destinies."
- Advocates for Youth: Sex Education Resource CenterAdvocates for Youth is supports work in influencing legislators and decision makers at the national, state, and local levels, as well as the general public, to make decisions that support adolescent reproductive and sexual health.
- American Sexual Health AssociationASHA was founded in 1914 in New York City, formed out of early 20th century social reform movements focused on fighting sexually transmitted infections (known then as venereal disease, or VD) and prostitution. Now, more than 100 years after its creation, ASHA remains America’s nonprofit authority for sexual health information.
About STDs/STIs/Safe(r) Sex
This research guide will direct you to resources for understanding sexually transmitted diseases and infections and their causes, symptoms, treatments, and effects on society.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: sexually transmitted infections, sexually transmitted diseases, STD or STI, gonorrhea, chlamydia, “pelvic inflammatory disease” or PID, genital warts OR HPV, HPV vaccine, syphilis, venereal Disease, HIV or AIDS
Overview Resources - Background Information
- CDC: Sexually Transmitted DiseasesFact sheets and statistics related to sexually transmitted diseases from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
- Medline Plus: Sexually Transmitted DiseasesInformation from Medline, the National Library of Medicine.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Sex, College, and Social Media: A Commonsense Guide to Navigating the Hookup Culture by Cindy PierceISBN: 9781629561714Publication Date: 2016-09-27
- Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women's Health Book Collective Staff; Judy NorsigianISBN: 9781439196656Publication Date: 2011-10-04
- Condom Nation: The U.S. Government's Sex Education Campaign from World War I to the Internet by Alexandra M. LordISBN: 0801893801Publication Date: 2009-11-23
- S. E. X.: The All-You-Need-to-Know Progressive Sexuality guide to get you through high School and College by Heather CorinnaISBN: 9781600940101Publication Date: 2007-05-04
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases: A Physician Tells You What You Need to Know by Lisa MarrISBN: 0801886589Publication Date: 2007-07-18
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- SocIndexIncludes full text for a variety of journals and books encompassing all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
- PsycInfoThis includes articles in the field of psychology as well articles about the psychological aspects of related disciplines.
- Consumer Health CompleteCovers areas of health and wellness from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated medicine.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (Nursing and Allied Health Literature)Includes articles on medical topics.
- Data Citation IndexThe Data Citation Index provides a single point of access to quality research data from repositories across disciplines and around the world.