Entertainment and Popular Culture: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Tattoos & Piercings
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Fan Culture
- Paying Student Athletes
- Social Media
- Tattoos & Piercings
- Video Games
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- Alliance of Professional TattooistsIncludes information on issues relating to both tattoos and body piercing, as well as information for professional tattoo artists.
- Association of Professional PiercersIncludes information for those receiving piercings and for professional piercers.
About Tattoos & Piercings
This guide focuses on the history, cultural and societal aspects, and health issues related to tattoos and body piercings.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: tattooing, "body piercing," "body marking," "body art," "body modification," (tattoo* or body piercing) and culture, (tattoo* or body piercing) and identity, (tattoo* or body piercing) and health, (tattoo* or body piercing) and youth
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- FDA: Tattoos and Permanent Makeup Fact SheetIncludes information on FDA regulations of the inks and pigments used in tattoos, permanent makeup, temporary tattoos, and henna (mehndi), and discusses possible reactions and health risks.
- Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo by Margot MifflinISBN: 9781576876138Publication Date: 2013-01-15
- 100 Ideas That Changed Fashion by Harriet WorsleyISBN: 9781856697330Publication Date: 2012-03-21
- Body Art by Nicholas ThomasISBN: 0500204209Publication Date: 2014-11-11
- Encyclopedia of Body Adornment by Margo DeMelloISBN: 0313336954Publication Date: 2007-08-30
- Living Canvas: Your Total Guide to Tattoos, Piercings, and Body Modification by Karen L. HudsonISBN: 9780786744831Publication Date: 2009-09-01
Articles - Scholarly & Popular
- Academic Search PremierIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- PsycINFO (Psychological Abstracts)Includes articles on psychology topics.
- SocINDEX with Full TextIncludes articles on sociology topics.
- Data Citation IndexThe Data Citation Index provides a single point of access to quality research data from repositories across disciplines and around the world. Through linked content and summary information, this data is displayed within the broader context of the scholarly research, enabling users to gain perspective that is lost when data sets or repositories are viewed in isolation.
- Images, Audio, & Video Research GuideThis guide links to databases and websites which include images that can be used more freely than can materials limited by default copyright protection.