International Gender and Women's Studies Topics : United Nations
GWS on a Global Scale
UN Conventions for Human Rights
UN divisions and sites with women-focused information
The best way to find UN entities that deal with women/gender in addition to their other focuses, is through the Womenwatch UN Entities page. You may also use the links below to go directly to some of them.
- The News Centre site of the Office of Public Information can be searched for "women" or "gender" news releases from the last 2 weeks, 30 days or 45 days. The Radio section can also be searched, as well as other formats of the UN Multimedia site.
- The Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific has a website for its Gender Equality and Empowerment. section
- UNICEF (UN Children's Fund) has a Gender Mainstreaming in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene page, a report "Women Teachers Empowered in India: Teacher Training Through A Gender Lens" (52p), and more (use the search engine and search for "gender").
- World Survey on the Role of Women in Development is prepared at 5-year intervals for the UN General Assembly.
- The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) has a Division for Social Policy and Development. It is interested in social development issues, including aging, civil society, disability, indigenous peoples, poverty, etc. It has published Indigenous Women and the United Nations System: Good Practices and Lessons Learned, and other publications.
- The Development Programme has a Women's Empowerment site with numerous documents that discuss how to incorporate gender into develop programs of various sorts.
- The Office for Disarmament Affairs has a Gender and Disarmament area.
- The Economic Commission for Europe has a Gender area.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization has a Gender section.
- The Centre for Human Settlements (Habitat) site has a Gender area, and several publications in fulltext on the site (search the entire site for "women" or "gender").
- The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights site includes a Human Rights Bodies section (the entities that monitor human rights treaties including CEDAW), and information about the Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, its Causes and Consequences.
- News on gender issues from Integrated Regional Information Networks, Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
- The Department of Peacekeeping Operations has a Gender Resource Package.
- The Population Fund publishes the report series "State of the World Population." Many are wholly or substantially about women.The Population Fund has also mounted a web exhibit on ending violence against women and has many other publications on gender equality.
- The Population Information Network of the Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs includes World Abortion Policies 2011, World Contraceptive Use 2011, World Fertility Patterns 2009, and many population charts and trends by world region and country.
- The High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) site has a page on "women." The whole UNHCR site is searchable. Search for "refugee women," putting the phrase in quotation marks.
- Humanitarian Affairs sponsors ReliefWeb, which offers documents from the UN and others concerning relief operations. Browse the theme "gender."
- The Secretariat has an Office for the Focal Point on Women to monitor the status of women employees of the Secretariat.
- UN Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict and a broader campaign "Stop Rape Now."
- The Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) has a searchable database of policy papers, summaries of conference presentations, etc.
- The Statistics Division has mounted Millenium Indicators, charting progress toward such goals as promoting gender equality and empowering women, eradicting poverty and hunger, improving material health, etc. Additional UN statistical resources are linked from the WomenWatch Statistics and Indicators page.