U.S. Government Publications at the University of Wisconsin-Madison : Census Resources
Finding Census Data
This section provides instructions for locating statistical data from the Federal and State Census.
For more information on finding population and housing statistics from the Census, see the research guide U.S. Census of Population and Housing Basics.
2010 Census Data
Decennial Census data is released in stages. Aggregate data is released when available following each census, while individual census records are kept sealed for 72 years to protect individual privacy. For more information about when different kinds of 2010 Census data will be published, see this page from the Census Bureau.
More Census Resources
Individual Census Schedules and State Censuses
For individual census schedules (which can be helpful in genealogical research), visit the Wisconsin Historical Society Library, which owns:
- all the surviving schedules of the 1790-1920 U.S. censuses for all the states on microfilm
- all available published indexes to these materials
- all of the 1836-1905 Wisconsin State Censuses
- indexes to the 1836, 1838, 1842, 1855, 1865 and 1905 state censuses
- a small collection of state censuses for other states. These can be located using the UW-Madison libraries' catalog.