Russian, East European and Central Asian Resources at UW-Madison : Evaluating Articles
Evaluating articles to determine if they are relevant, appropriate, and of high quality.
- Is the article useful? Evaluate the article title, abstract, subject headings.
- Is it relevant to my research topic?
- Is the article reliable and of high quality? Is the article scholarly and peer reviewd? Evaluate the article abstract, source, authors and credentials, bibliography, etc.
- What do you know about the author(s) and credentials?
- What do you know about the source or journal in which the article is published?
- What is the purpose of the article? Is it to communicate the results of research?
- Who is the audience for the article? Is it other researchers or academics?
- Does the article refer to other sources and include a bibliography?
- What about the language used? Is it academic or popular?
- How long is the article?
For more information about evaluating articles: