International/Global Affairs: An Undergraduate Research Guide : HIV/AIDS
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Autonomous/Secession Movements
- Chemical and Biological Weapons
- European Union
- Food Shortages/Food Supply
- Human Trafficking
- Immigration - United States
- Nuclear Proliferation
- Palestine and Israel
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
- AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin"Established in 1985, the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin is a private, non-profit health and social service agency that works to confront and alleviate the effects of HIV disease in Wisconsin."
- Student Global AIDS Campaign"SGAC seeks to mobilize a multi-racial student movement to make claims upon governments, corporations, and civil society through education, leadership training, informed advocacy and direct action in the fight against global AIDS."
- AIDS.org"The mission of AIDS.ORG is to help prevent HIV infections and to improve the lives of those affected by HIV and AIDS by providing education and facilitating the free and open exchange of knowledge at an easy-to-find centralized Web site."
- Center for AIDS Prevention StudiesEstablished in 1986, CAPS conducts research "that will have maximum impact on the theory, practice, and policy of AIDS prevention." Their site is divided into the following sections: Research, Prevention Tool Kit, Publications, and Opportunities.
- Project Inform"Project Inform is a national nonprofit, community based organization working to end the AIDS epidemic." Find treatment information, programs and services like the toll free confidential hotline, as well as background and donation information.
- Staying Alive"Growing from the tradition of annual documentaries, Staying Alive is expanding to include a multi-tiered campaign to promote awareness about and prevention of HIV/AIDS in the international youth community."
- The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria"Created to dramatically increase resources to fight three of the world's most devastating diseases, and to direct those resources to areas of greatest need." View their global contributions and other information resources in the "AIDS/HIV" section.
This guide suggests resources related to the medical, social, and political aspects of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). It includes resources that address symptoms, transmission, and demography as well as societal attitudes.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page: "acquired immune deficiency syndrome," hiv AND sexual*, hiv AND transmissi*, hiv AND societ*, hiv AND drug*, aids AND epidemic, hiv AND epidemic, aids AND vaccine
Overview Resources - Background Information
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- The HIV Knowledge BaseThe HIV Knowledge Base is a comprehensive, on-line textbook on HIV disease from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and the San Francisco General Hospital (SFGH).
- AIDS.govHIV/AIDS information from the Federal government about prevention, testing, treatment, research, and using new media in response to HIV/AIDS.
- AIDSinfoThe U.S. Department of Health and Human Services hosts this Web site, providing guidelines for the treatment and prevention of HIV/AIDS, information about drugs and vaccines, clinical trials, and a list of Internet links for further information.
- In Their Own WordsThe National Institute of Health tracks the early years of HIV/AIDS research. The site has a transcripts section where one can find interview transcripts of NIH researchers, an image and document archive, a historical timeline, and other Internet links.
- The BodyThe Body is an award winning site and a service of Body Health Resources Corporation. Information categories include: AIDS Basics and Prevention, Quality of Life issues, Government policy and advocacy, and a specific section for the recently diagnosed.
- How to Survive a Plague: The Inside Story of How Citizens and Science Tamed AIDS by David FranceISBN: 0307700631Publication Date: 2016-11-29
- AIDS Between Science and Politics by Peter Piot; Laurence Garey (Translator)ISBN: 9780231538770Publication Date: 2015-02-24
- The AIDS Generation: Stories of Survival and Resilience by Perry HalkitisISBN: 9780190234331Publication Date: 2014-12-15
- Noncommunicable Diseases in the Developing World: Addressing Gaps in Global Policy and Research by Louis Galambos; Jeffrey L. SturchioISBN: 1421412926Publication Date: 2013-10-24
- International Perspectives on Women and HIV by Samuel A. MacMaster (Editor); Brian E. Bride (Editor); Cindy Davis (Editor)ISBN: 0415852285Publication Date: 2013-12-11
- Sande's HIV/AIDS Medicine by Paul A. Volberding; Joep M. A. Lange; Joel E. Gallant; Warner C. Greene; Nelson SewankamboISBN: 1455706957Publication Date: 2012-04-13
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchIncludes scholarly and popular articles on many topics.
- SocIndexIncludes full text for a variety of journals and books encompassing all sub-disciplines of sociology and closely related areas of study.
- PsycInfoThis includes articles in the field of psychology as well articles about the psychological aspects of related disciplines.
- Consumer Health CompleteCovers areas of health and wellness from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated medicine.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (Nursing and Allied Health Literature)Includes articles on medical topics.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: HIV/AIDSUnder "Resource Library, " click on "Fact Sheets" to access statistical data.
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Statistics and Reporting: AIDS/HIVContains statistical information on HIV/AIDS within the state of Wisconsin.