Current Topics: An Undergraduate Research Guide : Pandemics
- Writing, Citing, & Research Help
- Black Lives Matter Movement
- Climate Change
- Hate Crimes
- Health Care
- Misinformation and Media Bias/Evaluating News
- Sexual Assault/Rape
- Sexual Harassment
- Newspaper Source PlusNewspaper Source Plus includes 1,520 full-text newspapers, providing more than 28 million full-text articles.
- Newspaper Research GuideThis guide describes sources for current and historical newspapers available in print, electronically, and on microfilm through the UW-Madison Libraries. These sources are categorized by pages: Current, Historical, Local/Madison, Wisconsin, US, Alternative/Ethnic, and International.
Organizations - Local
- Public Health Madison and Dane CountyProvides up to date information on health news within the Madison and Dane County area, including regular updates on COVID-19 information as it becomes available.
- Wisconsin Department of Health ServicesThis website provides users access to various answers to health questions, ranging from simple data and statistics to information on the COVID-19 vaccines available.
- Wisconsin Health Association (WHA)This site provides regular updates on COVID-19, monitoring constantly to insure the information is up to date.
- World Health Organization (WHO)This site, created by The World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations' specialized agency for health, explores issues in bioethics from an international perspective.
- Centers for Disease Control and PreventionThis site contains a section and links to resources including the National Pandemic Strategy
This guide focuses on resources related to pandemics, ranging from the Bubonic Plague to COVID-19. This guide will support you in searching for information on the history of pandemics and their social, cultural, and medical effects.
Try searching these terms using the resources linked on this page:
Pandemics, Epidemics, Coronavirus, COVID-19, SARS, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, Mental Health, Social History, Social Aspects, Social Distancing, Prevention
Overview - Background Information
- CQ ResearcherContains weekly in-depth reports that cover the most current and controversial issues of the day with complete summaries, insight into all sides of the issues, bibliographies and more.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource CenterOpposing Viewpoints Resource Center (OVRC) provides viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles related to controversial social issues.
- Pandemics Throughout HistoryProvides a historical timeline for the world's epidemics, from the year 541 to present.
- Center for Disease Control: COVID-19The Center for Disease Control's COVID-19 page. Guidelines, updates, and county-level information
- Investigating the Pandemic of 1918 and Its Relationship to Today's CoronavirusAn Ebling Library (UW-Madison's Health Sciences Library) research guide comparing and contrasting the 1918 pandemic to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Epidemics by Joshua S. LoomisISBN: 9781440861420Publication Date: 2018-01-18
- (ebook) Epidemics and Society by Frank M. SnowdenISBN: 0300192215Publication Date: 2019-10-22
- Examining the Role of Environmental Change on Emerging Infectious Diseases and Pandemics by Maha Bouzid (Editor)ISBN: 9781522505549Publication Date: 2016-08-04
- Life After COVID - 19: Lessons From Past Pandemics by Gordon, BobISBN: 9781911658771Publication Date: 2020
- (ebook) Psychiatry of Pandemics by Damir Huremović (Editor)ISBN: 3030153452Publication Date: 2019-05-27
Articles - Scholarly and Popular
- Academic SearchAcademic Search Premier is a multidisciplinary database that provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including approximately 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. A total of 8,500 journals are indexed and abstracted.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (Nursing and Allied Health Literature)Includes articles on nursing, biomedicine, health sciences librarianship, alternative/complementary medicine, consumer health and other allied health disciplines.
- Health Source: Nursing/AcademicThis resource provides articles focusing on many medical disciplines.
- PubMedIndexes leading journals in medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, allied health, health care systems, and pre-clinical sciences.
Statistics and Data
- Data Citation IndexThe Data Citation Index provides a single point of access to quality research data from repositories across disciplines and around the world. Through linked content and summary information, this data is displayed within the broader context of the scholarly research, enabling users to gain perspective that is lost when data sets or repositories are viewed in isolation.
- Our World in DataProvides daily updates on the data surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic statistics around the world.