Introduction to Government Information for Library School Students : Home
Books about government information librarianship
Brown, Christopher C. Mastering United States Government Information: Sources and Services. Santa Barbara, California :Libraries Unlimited, 2020.
Forte, Eric J., Cassandra J. Hartnett and Andrea L. Sevetson, Fundamentals of Government Information: Mining, Finding, Evaluating, and Using Government Resources. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, an imprint of the American Library Association, 2016.
Blogs about gov't information sources & issues
- Highlights primary government documents from around the world
- Launched in 2002; contains searchable database of over 32,000 posts
- Written by Sabrina I. Pacifici
- "A place for initiating dialogue and building consensus among the various players (libraries, government agencies, non-profit organizations, researchers, journalists, etc.) who have a stake in the preservation of and perpetual free access to government information. FGI promotes free government information through collaboration, education, advocacy and research.
- Primary bloggers are Jim A. Jacobs, James R. Jacobs, Shinjoung Yeo, Daniel Cornwall, and Rebecca Troy-Horton. (See more at the FGI About page.)
- Madison (Wisconsin) Public Library's government information blog, from its (now retired) government information specialist, Romeo Dais
- Focuses on recently-published federal and Wisconsin government information
Webinars on government information
- From the Government Resources Section of the North Carolina Library Association
- "Designed to help [everyone--new docs staff and old-timers] do better reference work by increasing our familiarity with government information resources, and by discovering the best strategies for navigating them"
A service of GPO, including events and conferences coordinated by GPO, and webinars and webcasts on a wide variety of government information topics. Includes:
Webinars and Webcasts on various topics conducted by FDLP community members.
Originally broadcast with icohere software
Types of webinars include:
Depository Library Community Webinars on various topics conducted by FDLP community members
Federal Agency Webinars conducted by federal agency personnel about web sites, tools, and resources of specific agencies
FDLP and C&I Webinars conducted by GPO staff about depository library operations, collections, and services. Cataloging and indexing and lifecycle management of government information resources topics are also found here