- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Research Guides
- Environmental Observation and Informatics (EOI) Library Resources
- Articles with Online Supplemental Material
Environmental Observation and Informatics (EOI) Library Resources : Articles with Online Supplemental Material
Articles with Online Supplemental Material
Read your articles carefully! Sometimes, the authors/publishers make additional materials related to the research available online. These materials can include:
- Expanded methodology
- Extended figures
- Extended or additional data tables
- Raw data in Excel (or other) format
How do you know if your article makes supplemental data available to the reader?
- This information is often at the end of an article, after the References list. Look for anything labeled "Supplementary Materials".
- Example 1: "Plant pathogenic anaerobic bacteria..."
- In this example, both the PDF version of the article and the online version of the article provide an explicit link to the additional materials after the References section.
Sometimes, you will need to hunt around a little more:
- Example 2 (PDF): "The genetic sex-determination system...."
- In this example, the PDF version of the article only says that the Supplementary Information is located in the online version of the paper.
- This means you will need to find the website of the journal the article was published in, and try to navigate to the online version of the article yourself and locate the provided links to the additional materials.
- Example 2 (online): "The genetic sex-determination system..." Note that there are links to supplementary information provided under the article's main section headers.
Remember, if you have questions, ask your TA or a librarian!