Locating Books in Memorial Library
Most political science books at UW-Madison can be found at Memorial Library on floor 5 south. Their call numbers range from J to JZ. Some books may be found in the reference collection on floor 2 south of Memorial Library. Please ask a librarian at the Reference Desk (across from the elevators on the second floor) if you have any questions.
Some important reference works include dictionaries, encyclopedias, yearbooks, statistics, and atlases.
Political Science Databases
Our campus libraries have access to many databases, and you can refine your search by browsing multiple subjects here. Listed below are several linked to political science.
Making Use of Subject Headings
- Use the Books tab on the Libraries Webpage.
- In the search box, type the your keywords.
- You don't need to use punctuation marks or capitals.
- To help you choose, consider the following:
- Title of item: does it seem relevant to your topic?
- Name of author: is it someone in the field you recognize?
- Date of publication: how current is the book? (A book about medicine from the 1970s will be way out of date!)
- To find more books like this one,
- Click the book's title to open the record.
- Scroll down to the heading Subjects.
- Click a subject that is relevant to your topic. A list of similar subjects displays.
- Click the one you're interested in to see all the books at UW-Madison related to that subject.
- You'll need both to find it on the shelf!
- To find your call number on the shelves, ask a librarian for help or find a stack guide when you arrive.