Skip to Main Content

Technical Reports : Locating Technical Reports

Guide to finding federally-funded research reports

Where is this...?

Start your search for a specific technical report in the Library Catalog; however, not all technical reports on campus are listed in the catalog. Be sure to search in various technical reports databases too.

Contact us for help! 

How to Find a Specific Technical Report

I have a technical report reference and want to find the report.

  • Check the Library Catalog first – it will give an exact call number and location for many reports in print or provide a link to the report online.
  • Note the catalog call number and the exact location in the microfiche collection. If the report is located at the Middleton Shelving Facility, you can place a request to have it delivered to a campus library.

Don’t give up if you don’t find the report in the catalog – we have many reports in microfiche that are not listed. Ask a librarian for help.

Where else should I look?

  • Search to get more details for a reference that you already have. Make a note of all numbers found in the record. View this picture for more information.
  • Search other specialized technical report databases. Many government-sponsored databases include the full text of records.

What if a technical report isn't online? How can I find out if it's available on campus?

Check the microfiche cabinets at Memorial Library. Look for any report number given in the reference you have.

Technical reports have many different numbering systems, such as report numbers, accession numbers, or SuDoc numbers. Materials are filed under all these systems as one big alphabet. Here's an example of how the filing works:






Request a Copy

It looks like this technical report isn't available online or in print on campus. How can I get it?

Use the UW Libraries' Interlibrary Loan service.

  • Use the "Request a Book" form
  • Enter any report numbers in the Comments box