- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Research Guides
- Publishing Your Research Article: Sciences and Social Sciences
- Finding the Best Place to Publish
Publishing Your Research Article: Sciences and Social Sciences : Finding the Best Place to Publish
Make Your Research Count!
Publish your work in the journal where it will have the most impact!
Readership, prestige, availability, subject scope, peer review process and acceptance rate should all be considered when choosing a journal. Resources in this section will guide you toward this information.
How should I evaluate a potential journal?
- What is the journal’s scope/audience?
- Is the journal refereed (peer reviewed)?
- Where is the journal indexed?
- Who is the publisher? (consider university presses, professional associations)
- Is the journal Open Access?
Look at the journal itself:
Is the journal I'm considering influential?
Consider how a journal is Ranked in comparison to other journals.
Is the journal I'm considering discriminating?
Look at Acceptance Rates. In general journals with lower acceptance rates are more prestigious
Is the journal I'm considering widely available?
Consider Journal Availability. Cost and distribution can influence availability of a journal.