Book Reviews in the Humanities and Social Sciences : Print Sources
Databases, Web sites, and print sources for finding book reviews.
Print Sources in the Memorial Library Reference Collection
- Book Review DigestA digest and index of selected book reviews in English and American periodicals. Reviews of juvenile and adult fiction and nonfiction in the English language. Entries are listed alphabetically by author of book reviewed. Each volume of this multi-volume set also includes a combined subject and title index at the back and a list of periodical abbreviations used at the fore. Current issues are retained until cumulation (same call number) is received.
Date Range: 1905–2013. Cancelled after 2013.
- Book Review Index: A Master CumulationComposed of multiple cumulative sets: 1965–1984, 1985–1992, 1993–1997, 1998–2002, and so on. Each set includes author and title indices and is arranged alphabetically by author of book reviewed. A complete list of periodicals indexed, along with the periodical abbreviations used in the entries, can be found inside the front cover of each volume. An introductory guide on use is located at the beginning of volume 1.
Date Range: 1965–2002
- Combined Retrospective Index to Book Reviews in Humanities Journals, 1802–1974Includes both author and title listings for book reviews published in major humanities journals for the years indicated; comprises 10 volumes total. (Volumes 1-9 make up the author index, while volume 10 contains the complete book title listings—both are ordered alphabetically.) "Quick-Reference User's Guides" at the front of each volume explain both how to use and interpret the listings.
Date Range: 1802–1974
- Combined Retrospective Index to Book Reviews in Scholarly Journals, 1886–1974Author and title listings for book reviews published in scholarly journals in History, Political Science, and Sociology for the years indicated; comprises 15 volumes altogether. (Volumes 1-12 contain the author index, while volumes 13-15 contain the complete book title list; both sections are ordered alphabetically.) "Quick-Reference User's Guides" at the front of each volume explain how to use and interpret the listings.
Date Range: 1886–1974
- The New York Times Book Review Index, 1896–1970Includes author, title, byline, subject, and category indices for New York Times book reviews for the years indicated. At the front of each volume, an introduction and an abbreviation key explain how to use the set and interpret records. (Once the citation information for a particular book review is known, use the ProQuest Historical Newspapers: New York Times database to find the full text online.)
Date Range: 1896–1970