- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Research Guides
- COM ARTS 262: Theory and Practice of Argumentation and Debate (Spring 2022)
- Identify & Analyze Debate Topic
COM ARTS 262: Theory and Practice of Argumentation and Debate (Spring 2022) : Identify & Analyze Debate Topic
Identify and Analyze Debate Topic
Analyze Your Topic: Questions to Ask
- What is your topic?
- What is your proposition?
- What is your position?
- What are potential arguments?
- What are potential arguments of opposition?
- What are some keywords for searching databases?
Resolved: Performance-enhancing drugs in sport should be legalized.
Sample Topic Potential Arguments
- Drug-testing is costly and ineffective
- Athletes lack autonomy given restrictions due to regulations and testing, and choice in taking on risks
- Drugs have health risks and could harm athletes in the near or distant future
- Drugs are unethical creating an unfair advantage in competition
- Athletes who do not cheat will be coerced in using drugs
Sample Topic Keywords
- performance enhancing drugs
- competitive sports
- professional sports
- anti-doping policy
- drug testing
- health risks
- fair opportunity