- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Research Guides
- CHICLA 330: Gentrification In Latinx Comm. (Spring 2021)
- Getting maps and tables from data.census.gov
CHICLA 330: Gentrification In Latinx Comm. (Spring 2021) : Getting maps and tables from data.census.gov
Data.census.gov is the Census Bureau's platform to access its data and digital content.
- Free of charge.
- No limit on how many people can use it at one time.
- Using the basic search, on the introductory/home page, will likely return lots of tables from lots of surveys.
- The advanced search asks you to use filters from the start, and to make choices about
- Some detailed data can only be retrieved using the advanced search.
Help from the Census for data.census.gov
Written guides from the Census Bureau: How-to Materials for Using data.census.gov
These are PDFs with lots of screen shots. Some were made when data.census.gov was first released in 2019. The Census Bureau has revised the appearance of data.census.gov's home page slightly since then, but the site still works the same way.
Video tutorials from the Census Bureau. A few I recommend:
- DATA GEMS: How to Visualize your Data Using Thematic Maps on data.census.gov (2021): demons. rates retrieving a table using advanced search, and mapping a variable from that table. I recommend this as a good overview of the tool.
- DATA GEMS: How to Access Data for Your Neighborhood in Just a Few Clicks (2021): The most helpful part of this video, for this class, is from 1:08 to 4:28 (minute 1, second 8 to minute 4, second 28).
- DATA GEMS: How to Navigate data.census.gov (2019): a short overview of the basic and advanced searches.
You can look at How do I cite tables and maps on census.gov and in data.census.gov? , from the Census Bureau's FAQ section. However, the answer starts out "The U.S. Census Bureau has no specific style recommendation for citing information found on our website."
It then has links to information about four major style guides Chicago, MLA, APA, and CSE, followed by some examples of citing Census tables and maps.