PORTUG 361: Portuguese Civilization (Fall 2019) : Finding Books
Overview for Library Catalog Searching
- Use the Advanced Search in the Library Catalog.
- Decide which field/s to use in your search (keywords, title, author, subject).
- If using keywords, remember to use boolean operators (AND, OR and quotations)
- Narrow your search by clicking on a term under Subjects on the left navigation bar or in the individual record.
- Note which library has the book. Under "availability" you will know if you are able to check it out and in where it's located. Campus Libraries' locations.
- Use the call number to find the book. Memorial Library has a Stacks Guide.
Searching in the Library Catalog
The best way to find books for this class is to search the library catalog. The library catalog searches all of the campus libraries at UW-Madison.
Here's a helpful tutorial for you to learn more about searching in the library catalog:
Useful Subject Headings
Library Catalog records include Subjects, or tags from an official list. They describe what the books or other items are about. Clicking on subjects or using them as keywords in searches can help you find similar books.
Portugal -- Colonies
Portugal -- Economic conditions
Portugal -- Foreign relations -- [name of other country]
Portugal -- History -- 1910-1974
Portugal -- History -- 1974-
Portugal -- Politics and government
Portugal -- Social conditions