HISTORY 363: China and World War II in Asia (Spring 2022) : Group Discussion/Exercise
Instructions for group discussion
- Work in groups of 4 or 5.
- Your group will be assigned a topic (listed in next box) and a database to search for resources on that topic.
- Work together to answer the following questions about your searching, and be prepared to share what you find with the rest of the class.
- How did you get to the database?
- What search terms did you use to find the document/article?
- Why do you think this document/article is related to the topic?
- Anything else you want to share about your search?
Topics for group discussion
- An archive file on the U.S.-China relationship between 1943 and 1945 in the Foreign Office Files for China 1919-1980. (Hint for search terms: U.S./United States, China/Chinese)
- An article from any of the historical newspapers published in the U.S. about the war in Asia. (Hint: locate the historical newspapers and the time range)
- An historical document related to communism in General George C. Marshall's Mission to China, 1945-1947. (Hint: communism/communist)
- A news report related to Nanjing (a city in China) in a historical newspaper published in China before 1949 in Chinese Periodical Full-text Database 1911-1949. (Hint: the old Romanized name “Nanking”)
- A document from the United States and Asia relations before WWII in the UW-Madison Digital Collection. (Hint: some old word like “Far East”)